April 3, 2008

SUSHIYAMA


"FRESH, FLAVORFUL AND CHEAP"

Location: 371 E. Broadway, Vancouver
Telephone: 604-872-0053
NO WEBSITE

If there is one thing Vancouver has a lot of, it's Sushi Restaurants. Top quality to poor quality and everything in between, there is a sushi restaurant out there for every palate. But when I want "great sushi for a great price" there's only one place to go... SUSHIYAMA.

On the corner of Broadway & Brunswick across from the Kingsgate Mall, you'll find this little restaurant and the only thing that gives it away is the line-up of excited and hungry people outside. You see, the locals know and love Sushiyama and they support it consistently whether its by eating-in or taking-out and now it's time to spread the word. Yes, I am happy to say that SUSHIYAMA is "that good".

I was introduced to it by my wife one Saturday afternoon and when we arrived at 4:00pm, the place was half full. By the time we left at 5, it was full. We tried a number of different favorites and all were, fresh, flavorful and cheap. Yes, SUSHIYAMA is quite a light hit to the wallet, take this order for instance:

3 SPICY TUNA ROLLS
1 CRUNCH ROLL
1 KAMAKAZE ROLL
1 GOMAE
1 TORO SASHIMI
1 SALMON SASHIMI
TOTAL - $35.00


Yes there are cheaper joints out there, but I dare you to find one that has this quality of fish or this much flavor for that price. Seriously, I judge a Sushi joint by it's Spicy Tuna Rolls and SUSHIYAMA by far and wide has the best STR's I have ever tasted... ever. All the usual suspects are available as well as some uniquely awesome creations (like the Mango Mango Roll or the Snapper Carpaccio in Garlic, Chili Oil for example) and I have never tried something that I didn't like. The sashimi melts in your mouth like butter, the fish is fantastic, the gomae is tasty, the gyoza is crisp, the veggies are fresh and portions are ample.

SUSHIYAMA is a great sushi experience, like I said, always fresh, always flavorful and they have the best Spicy Tuna Rolls I have ever tasted... ever!

No comments: